Sunday, April 16, 2006

Internet Trolls

There seems to be something in the air at the moment, one of the forum's I belong to recently had a woman claiming to be the mother of twins...she had built a website for them, pictures were posted, and hey presto, here's who this child really belongs too.....the devastation that the child's real mum, must have felt to see a picture of her child, with the words, died this afternoon, written underneath them.

When it was revealed that this was a hoax, there was a sense of shock, disbelief, and anger floating around, from the members there who had believed this womans story, who had offered support and who despite their own experiences had been able to offer support to someone they believed needed it, in the same way as we did when our babes were tiny. The people who know what it's like to really experience this, who still carry the scars of their experience are now left wondering and questioning everyone else around them, and how genuine these people are.

I've read and re-read the article two posts down about the Sarah Everson and her partner, who faked the birth of 6 babies, and one quote leapt out at me.

"I’m so afraid they’re not going to make it," she sobbed. "Nobody understands how hard this is. I know that they’re here. I know what I had to go through to get them here."

There are genuine preemie parents who do know how hard it all is, who know what their babies went through to survive, who sat and watched their little ones undergo numerous painful and distressing procedures in their fight for life, there are preemie parents out there who sat by helplessly and watched, as their little ones lost that fight.

We have enough in our lives, and on our plates, without the sad people in this world, like Sarah Everson who seem to think it's ok to make up a whole new alternate life for themselves, and take advantage of what in reality is a situation beyond comprehension.

Reached by phone late Tuesday, Sarah Everson offered no explanation. "I’m not talking to anybody right now," she said, "because nobody gets it."

No Sarah, I don't get it, I really don't understand why you felt it was ok to do something like this. I'm sure I'm not the only preemie parent who will struggle to understand why you thought this was ok......perhaps these people need to walk a day in our shoes.

No comments: