Monday, July 18, 2005

Bliss Research

Bliss have done some research into the shortage of nurses in neo-natal units and the effects that this is having on premature babies, you can read the report here


Probably going to make myself really unpopular here, but to be honest I'm used to it, having spent the last 5 or so years fighting everyone in sight, to get Michael the support and services that he needs, that we need as a family in order to survive.

I realise Bliss is a Charity that works to improve things for babies in Neo-natal Units, and the whole idea behind this research was to show that things are not good for these special and vunerable babies. I'm not saying it's wrong to save these little ones, so don't take this the wrong way, it's just these little ones don't stay little ones forever, they grow up. Stating the obvious -yes, I know!

Who fights for these babies when they're no longer babies?? Who out there is trying to improve things for those babies that grow into children with special needs?? Who is doing the research and speaking out about the lack of support and services available to families pushed to the edge of crisis, because they are dealing with the fallout??

I know I'm not the only mum who has a child who survived the whole neo-natal experience with long term implications and complex needs, but sometimes it feels like it.

No comments: